Saturday, April 2, 2011

Alele kita conga

Ok. Enough philosophy for these days, now it is weekend I want to tell you some good things that happened during the last time. I’ve been really busy lately. Yesterday I gave my first exam in Germany. Of course it was written in English, but the best part is that it was focused on Brazil's economical history, and don't ask me why but I felt identified with this country. Perhaps because it is in Latin America, or because it is close to my country, who cares... The incredible thing here is how the distances change your judgement and reflections: it is amazing to find yourself in the middle of a speech you would never have imagined to pronounce. Identified with Brazil? I think it is another piece of magic from AFS.

I have been in a concert. A show organized by my school to present its Big Band. Of course, was another delight. There were about fifteen people playing different instruments, including trombones, trumpets, saxophones, guitars, a tuba, a contrabass, a piano and an incredible set of percussion. They played big band jazz of the 30's and 40's. There was also a choir which sang some demotic songs like 'The lion sleeps tonight'. I really enjoyed the show, and once again I reminded myself how important is teamwork.

Today I have travelled to Cologne again, and I have to say it's a wonderful city, plenty of multiculturalism and expressionism. You can't imagine the amount of different people that you may see when you walks through its streets. That makes you feel good because, at least in my case, I forgot I was a foreigner today. I know that the people who was walking by my side had a lot to do, but Cologne still seems attractive and cool for me. The reason of the trip was that some AFS coordinators improvised a meeting for exchange students and I had been invited. So, I went there with my brother and we met, again, with people who share the same feeling and passion. We had a great time there, lying on the grass, drinking beer (of course, I am in Germany) and chatting with the other students (the photo is from the meeting).

Tomorrow is a great day for me because I am playing the piano as a guest in the band of my brother and in the afternoon it's the first presentation in which I am involved. I am not nervous but anxious to see people's reaction, and to see if being on a stage here feels as being on one of my country.

Maybe you are asking yourself what means the title of the note, and what it has to do here. Well, Alele Kita Conga is the name of a kind of ritual I learned at the pre orientation camp in Argentina, and it is about a sort of connection between the people involved in it. It is really awesome because you can make it with anyone, no matter the race, religion or language, and I swear you will feel connected with that person aught. The people who know me know what I mean (I have taken this ritual to the remotest corners of the world lol). I don't know any person who did not like it and I can assure you that you would like to take part in it too. Just so you can watch and listen the chants, I leave you a video of when we did it in the camp of the last weekend. But be aware that is pretty much deep when you get involved personally in these intensive feelings.



I hope you not to ignore all that pretty incredible sights you stumble across everyday. I ardently hope also that you spend an incredible weekend. Bye for now.

1 comment:

Jéssica Miho Sakaguchi said...

Hey you. This isn't a joke, but I may have a funny story to tell...

First of all, I'm a scout, and every 4 years we have a big camping (World Scout Jamboree) with scouts from all countries. I went to this camp, which happened this year (july-august) and learned this 'song' "Alele kita conga" with some arabians. They were singing so happilly, and so often around us, that we just started singing with them.. It was beautiful and I have to agree with you about "you can make it with anyone, no matter the race, religion or language" it was our case. oh, because I'm brazilian, by the way. Thats the funniest part. I remembered this song like, now and went google about it's history. Then I ended up on your web page and accidentally read the name of the country I live in.
Anyway.. I just commented all this to ask for any source about the Alele 'thing'... I want to teach it to the kids that couldn't go to the Jamboree..

Well, I don't know what ID I'm using to comment here, but if you're pleased, add me on Facebook. Look for Jessica Miho Sakaguchi and I'll be there (:

Beautiful blog.
Luck with the tests.
Talk soon (: