Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Wheels in motion

Spring is here, which is a welcome and pleasant relief after the cold and hard winter that received me. It seemed as it was never going to end, but at last the nice days are arising. For most people in my country, winter is a good time to concentrate on indoor activities, and here that was not an exception (naturally, nobody wants gardening with 50 cm of snow or with 10 degrees below zero). The weather has been nice for the last week, although I get to enjoy it only a little bit since I spend most of my day in my daily activities. We changed to daylight saving time and the days seem longer now. The unique little drawback of this issue is that we have to go to school under the cover of darkness, but I am sure in a few days it won't be dark any more. I have noticed that the people are taking more often to the streets, the shrubs are becoming greener, those wild flowers like bluebonnets and a lot of tulips are blooming now, and the whole panorama is more colourful and alive. I believe the current atmosphere greatly influences on people's thoughts and emotions, everything seems better.

It is almost a month and a half since I moved to Germany, and the things continue improving. I haven't picked up any of the German accents, not yet at least, but I find myself confident to say things in German without problems. Of course I am not able to discuss philosophical matters, but I am starting to understand what people are talking about, and that makes me happy and full of desires to continue with this program. Lately it has been rather easy to adjust to the life here, I am not entirely sure why, though, maybe it is the language, or the weather. Or maybe it is just that I feel better with my current life and that is all.

They say that good things come in three, which must be the case of me too: today I have a freeschool day, together with my family we have started to plan our summer holidays to Croatia and the sun is shining for what seems like the first time in ages. My brother and his girlfriend and I took a short ramble towards the surroundings of my house, which included a stop in two parks for children and a tour along the river, before I cooked Argentinian Lomitos for everyone. I have done them with Argentinian steak! That was deep-felt.

I have been treating more people and I am glad because every person I bumped into was universally warm and welcoming, despite the naturally curious and hesitant looks I notice every day everywhere. I have learned that if there is something that the Germans need, that is time. People seem friendlier, more attentive. I guess my German has much to do... so there is another reason to keep trying and speaking, of course. It is better to move myself than to wait sat without doing anything. So, wheels in motion. There is no reason to be outdone.

No comments: