Saturday, June 11, 2011

The flow of knowledge

I have long wanted to write about this stuff, but I think it wasn't really clear until today. Now I have something to say, something that could help you if you are trying to learn something, to make your life a little more interesting, or just to improve yourself.

Have you ever thought about how it works? Actually it's strange what I've been thinking these days about. Are you trying to learn something new every day? Or every month? A new hobby, a new fact, a new language maybe? Perhaps you have realized that it isn't so easy. And perhaps have you also noticed that sometimes one thinks that there is no place enough in his head for acquiring more intellect. And from that point comes the analysis of today.

Now more absorbed than ever, I realized that it is essential just to empty the box. Let's take the following example: when we want to store our freshly washed clothes in the closet, sometimes we think that the place is not ample, that some items will remain out of it. But, if we remove all out and organize everything again, we find out that there was place enough, and also that there is still room to spare.

And what I mean? Full heads, empty heads. What do you prefer? The full heads stand up and pour out knowledge. The empty heads eagerly gobble it up like hungry piglets. Understand what I am trying to explain? Sometimes it is necessary to empty our minds. Throw away everything we have learned, even the deepest thoughts. It is of paramount importance to entrench oneself heavily in what one tries to learn, and forget everything else. The tabula rasa effect, the blank or erased slate as it is known in English. It is truly intriguing and fascinating how great it can be. As an empty blank sheet, an empty head has room for a lot of new fresh knowledge, and that is the only thing we actually need. Sometimes it is not about the fact, but the way.

I know you'll be asking yourself what about the things that you have already learned.
Where are they going to go, maybe to waste? So, here is my answer related to my experience. When I started to learn German, I noticed every day how my English was deteriorating. I also noticed that my Spanish had started to retrogress. And I felt invaded. I was afraid of losing what I had taken so long to achieve. But, I had no choice. If I did not learn German, I could not live here anymore. So, I got carried away. And to my delight, I realized that, with time, things eventually returned to its right place, and then this place looked much bigger and organized than ever.

Now, this applies to everything. No pain, no gain. We have to detach. Move away from what we have had always nearby. Try new ways, new trends. New perspectives and points of view. Empty heads, happy hearts. Think about, it has sense. Try it. Make a skimpy effort from now on. Hope it helps.

No comments: