Sunday, March 27, 2011

AFS: Wonder of wonders

Hello dear people. Just wanted to let all of you know that this blog has not been abandoned at all. I have had one incredible weekend involved only in the AFS universe, and of course I was away from the internet. I met so incredible people, you can not imagine how amazing they are. Both students and coordinators manifested how capable humans are to establish kind bonds, regardless any condition unrelated to the personality. I spent three awesome days with students from all over the world, I could notice strong differences between each other and I could find, however, that everybody had the same feeling, pursued the same goal, expected the same thing: share and learn.

It was a strange feeling inside. I used to say and repeat over and over again that we are all equal, no differences, but I had never been in a place with so many different people and in such an incredible mix of cultures before. It is quite hard for me to explain in words how I felt it. Despite the diversity, it was as I said: 'same objectives', so I felt fully equal to all, no superiority or inferiority, no shame, no bother... just equal, and you don't know how good it felt. I think it was the first time I felt like that, so impartial. I realized how many good squialities you can find in a person if you move away from any stereotype and you just let yourself go purely by the instinct that the humans naturally have, haha I don't want to sound like a philosopher at all, it is just I have never experienced the good feelings of this weekend and I want to share them with all of you.

I am absolutely convinced that the main reason for all this great thing is AFS. All the people related to this organisation have a special lifestyle, a different way of seeing and understanding the world, and particularly an amazing ability to enjoy life. When I am among AFS people I think the problems are insignificant compared to how much we can enjoy the good things that happen to us. And there is something really weird yet stunning: whenever you meet someone from AFS, he or she is related to someone who you know in advance from your country or from another place in the world, as if everything was connected to you somehow... I know it sounds like fantasy but it is not the first time it happens, and it is becoming more usual each AFS contact I have.

The last great thing of this weekend I want to remark before I go to bed (yesterday I slept about three hours) it is that after one month of being among foreign people, I met with my Argentinian friend Eli (you can see her in the picture), I hugged her strongly, and we also drank mate. I had forgotten how good it tasted. Thank heaven she reminded me of my accent, my way of pronouncing the Y and my droll habit of hugging everyone at every moment.

The only little thing I have left to say is how much I'm going to miss these great people. I look forward to seeing them all again soon. At least I hope so.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.