Friday, March 4, 2011

Say yes.

There is a kind of rule in AFS that says you can not deny what your family proposes you, at least within the first month. One of the last movies of Jim Carrey is called 'Yes Sir!' and satires the life of a man who starts to say always yes to everything and his life becomes magically full and cool. When I saw this film I thought it was rubbish. I was not used to recommend it, but now I can understand the meaning of the whole thing.

As the rule established, I had to say yes to every proposal since I am here. And I have to say I've done things I never would have thought I would be involved in. Thanks to this rule I have played badminton, and it was a great experience. Specially because I have always thought that badminton was almost equal to tennis, and I discovered a totally different sport which the only similarity it shares with tennis is you have to trough the ball into the opponent's court.
I have been part of a gospel choir like in my dreams, singing all together at the rhythm of snapping fingers and in English, and removing concerns out of our heads, and letting the joy come into our lives.
I have been in a LAN party, such a meeting in where many young guys gather to play network games together. They all bring their computers to the host house and spend some hours playing and laughing loud and drinking beer, of course. And that is rare for us but I found it very interesting, yes sir.
I've tried thousands of drinks and meals and I realized that I like a lot more things than I thought. It was a bit embarrassing just during the first days to say no to a meal, so I closed my mouth and ate everything they offered to me haha. The most interesting part is that I liked everything, including carrots with apple or a kind of cheese burgers with marmalade for dinner, things I was not used to eat in my country.
I found myself dressed with a custom and my hair painted almost without knowing it, just because I had said yes, and I felt comforted when I saw all the people was just doing the same, honouring karnival. I had really so much fun.
So people, if you ask me for advice, I say you: 'Don't say no to anything. You can't imagine how many doors it can open in your life. Say yes!

Santiago.

No comments: